Baldt Anchor & Chain
Project Summary: Coventry Environmental, Inc. (Coventry) was contracted to perform multiple environmental remediation services at the former Baldt Anchor & Chain facility located in Chester, Pennsylvania. This historic facility was in operation from its inception in 1896 through approximately 2010 and manufactured various anchor and chain components for the United States Navy and private industry. The long history of manufacturing left a legacy of environmental impacts at the site which required corrective actions prior to a proposed real estate transaction.
Project Location: Chester, Pennsylvania (Delaware County)
Scope of Services Provided by Coventry:
- Coventry performed administrative services through acquisition of local permits, PADEP tank closure permits and underground utility markouts.
- Coventry developed and implemented a site specific health & safety plan (SSHASP) for all site activities.
- Coventry evaluated the contents of thirteen (13) electrical transformers located on-site for PCBs.
- Coventry closed two (2) 8,000-gallon aboveground storage tanks (ASTs) formerly used to store bunker oil. Approximately 5,900 gallons of product was recovered and the ASTs were cleaned, dismantled, transported and disposed.
- Coventry closed two (2) 2,000-gallon interior pits utilized for storage of quenching oil. The pits were vacuumed out, cleaned and backfilled with inert material.
- Coventry performed selective demolition of the on-site structures (rail crane, crane foundation, shed) which were located over two underground storage tanks (USTs).
- Coventry cleaned and removed a 12,000-gallon No. 6 fuel oil UST and piping. Coventry recovered approximately 10,000-gallons of product/sludge from the vessel.
- Coventry closed one (1) 15,000-gallon No. 2 oil UST. The UST was cleaned, removed from the subsurface and transported offsite for scrap metal recycling.
- Coventry closed two (2) pits associated with interior rotating tables. Coventry removed approximately 2,500 gallons of petroleum impacted water from the pits. The pits were cleaned and filled with flowable fill.
- Coventry performed lab pack / waste consolidation services. The facility was searched for miscellaneous waste containers. The containers were consolidated, characterized, and containerized for offsite transport and disposal at a TSDF.
- Coventry closed one (1) 2,000-gallon exterior dip tank containing asphaltic paint utilized for the coating of chain. Remaining product was manually removed from the tank. Coventry personnel cleaned the tank to allow it to be closed in place with flowable fill
- Coventry closed one (1) 3,000-gallon exterior dip tank containing Zinc Chromate utilized for the pretreatment of anchor chains. Liquids were recovered from the tank and containerized in a vacuum container. The remaining material was sludge which was solidified utilizing a super absorbing polymer (SAP). The solidified product was removed and placed in a sealed rolloff container. The tank was removed from the subsurface and disposed. The removed product was transported & disposed at an approved TSDF.
- Coventry closed one (1) hydraulic oil aboveground storage tank. The tank contents were transferred to steel drums and properly disposed.
Project Value: $191,000.00